Looking for information from folks as to how you identify and implement best practices for ongoing competency assessment. Also curious about the questions below:
1. Is your education department centralized or decentralized at your facility?
2. Is your education department nursing focused or multidisciplinary (Respiratory Care, PT/OT, Radiology, Lab, EVS, etc.)
3. Do you have a New Hire Orientation for all employees?
4. What topics are covered in New Hire Orientation?
5. Do you have unit specific orientation, if so, what is the length of that orientation?
6. What types of competency assessment verification do you use? (Donna Wright= test/exams, Return Demonstrations, Evidence of daily work, case studies, exemplars, peer review, self-assessments, discussion/reflection, presentations, mock surveys, quality improvement monitors).
7. How do you promote accountability with competency assessment? (tracking, documenting, action plans, manager follow up).
8. How do you provide ongoing competency assessment? Do you use standardized forms?
9. Do you have an annual skills fair requirement?
How is that accomplished (format)?
10. How do you determine what types of competency assessments are needed? (quality measures, new product, patent safety).